Friday, May 8, 2015

Feature Friday - Empath by S. Usher Evans

In honor of next week's release, this week's Feature Friday features S. Usher Evans' Empath (follow link for description/pre-order).

Cover of Empath by S. Usher Evans
Cover Image taken from Amazon.com

First of all I'm happy to say that I read this, being that I've kind of gotten into a reading slump for the past month or so, with other things going on. There are lots of things I want to read, but sometimes I just don't feel like I have the mental capacity to do so. If I'm stressed or anxious I can't concentrate and that seems like a waste of the author's talent. I'm very happy to report that I had no problem focusing with this book, and it may have been just the reading-medicine I've been needing.

Empath is about Lauren, a modern-day girl with dragon-sized heartbreak and anxiety, literally. When she hears a voice that offers to take away that pain, it is irresistible temptation. Transported from the hum-drum of her life and mind-numbing job, she finds herself in a world where mud can be magic, dragons terrorize the village, and washing machines are nowhere to be found. What starts out as simply a quest to get home becomes a quest to gain control of her thoughts, emotions, and fears, and ultimately find release from the hell she's been trapped in. The Anghenfil, the anxiety-dragon of lore, is with Lauren every step of the way, promising that oh-so-tempting easy way out. 

Evans' writing has your heart hurting right there with Lauren, and you want her to find happiness just as you would for a dear friend or even yourself. The depiction of depression and anxiety is accurate and done with much care, and while some very important issues are touched on, they are executed most thoughtfully and left me in tears more than once. 

The writing was beautiful, the adventure was fun to tag along with, and the feels were over the top. Definitely a recommended read.

S. Usher Evans' image


***THE FOLLOWING CONTAINS SPOILERS, written in white text on white background, click and highlight to read***

I really love how the stereotype of the post break-up love interest is broken here. Instead of happily ever-after, here is a young woman who eventually sees the situation for what it is, and acts on it.

Also, while I was very probably already--ok I totally was--crying, that last scene with Cassidy was just tops for me. One of the hardest things about anxiety/depression is being able to reach out for someone for help, and I think that we have to remember to let others know that we will listen.

Thank you S., for putting yourselfLauren out there for us readers, and I'm so glad you were able to do this for yourself. I know that the care taken with these sensitive subjects comes from personal experience, and I just want you to know that it is deeply appreciated. <3

Until next time,
Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment