Thursday, January 15, 2015

TBT - Poetry from last year.

I posted this to my twitter account (@byersj09) some time ago, but it only recently came to my attention that it is actually a bit hard to read on there, so I'm reposting it here for a first throw-back-Thursday post. I wrote it during my creative writing class last summer, and probably my favorite from that time. Here is a link to the picture that was used as my inspiration (per the assignment's directions): http://holeinthedonut.com/2013/02/23/photo-easternmost-point-spain-cap-de-creus-natural-park/
I hope you enjoy!

The Cape

Two wheels of soft rubber whisper on the asphalt,
the chain gently whirs on the gears like wind against wings

until the salt water engulfs first
the nose,
            then tongue,
 then vision.
I walked this path some months ago
as leaves turned into individual flames
and danced on their branches and floated in the wind.
Small, smooth stones that crunch underfoot
then give way to rocks that skitter, and clatter
and boulders that stand strong,
like bolts holding the earth together.

Birds caw and squawk, specters in the sky
hunting the next victim, their calls swept out to sea –
lyrical accompaniment to the ocean’s melody:
surf slapping the strong, stony shore.
The ocean breaking over rocks time and time again
mimics the tumbling thoughts,
the regrets, and the question
“What if?”
“What if I got to say goodbye?”
and when you try to escape them
they crash loudly, repeatedly,
relentless waves against your conscience.

Tufts of greenery cling to the beaten rocks,
the only brave pops of color in this gray-scaled world,
their flowers rare glimpses of the life that thrives here.

In the horizon the gray-cloud sky meets
with the gray-reflecting water
pulling on the gray-rock fingers of the Cape,
pulling them out to sea against their will.
Even the air is gray and thick
with a drizzle that is not quite rain
nor the lack of it.
The gray invades the body, the mind, the soul,
devouring emotions and thoughts
leaving you even more
numb and empty
than the salt-filled shell of a summer locust.

I see you standing there, locust-girl,
blown by the battering gray wind,
and I’ve brought the Sun with  me.


No comments:

Post a Comment