Friday, March 6, 2015

Feature Friday - The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, Book 1) by Julie Kagawa

I'm attending a YA book festival tomorrow, and I thought I might read at least one book by at least one author who would be there (the original plan was much more ambitious, but procrastination, you know?). So I got on my Overdrive/local library account and found The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa was available for electronic checkout, something I absolutely love. What I found was a world I could not leave until I was forced to by the need to sleep and the end of the book.

Picture from Amazon product page (link above)

I really loved this book, and am eager to begin the second (and third!). There were times when it reminded me of Hollowland by Amanda Hocking, which is another book that I enjoyed several years ago. (Typically my YA Paranormal readings are pretty spaced, I just love to read everything!) The protagonist, Allison Sekemoto, has been a survivor all her life, and her choices and way of thinking about her decisions show it. We know, however, the struggles between making some of those decisions and indulging her more emotional side. Those choices become even more difficult as she learns to make them as a vampire. As a vampire, she has to learn how to fit in--again--with humans as she tags along in search of the promised land.

Pros:
  • In general, a well-written and entertaining read.
  • Not all the characters were likable (really, I don't think most of them were. Sure, most had some endearing feature or another, but not enough to make you really like them).
  • Though sometimes not likable, the characters remained interesting and maintained their own presence in the story.
  • Interesting relationship between the vampires/humans for survival.
  • I thought the Rabids were an interesting species.
  • Touched on topics of peer family, morals, and identity.

Faux-Cons:

  • There were a few places where a word or phrase felt almost-but-not-quite right. This isn't really a problem, just an observation. I've lost a lot of my grammar-snobbishness over the years in the realization that writing is not one-size-fits-all.
Cons:
  • I felt like more about Samurais should have been revealed to Allison, but it's very possible that she learns more in the following books (or maybe it is just for us readers to fully appreciate).

No comments:

Post a Comment