Friday, July 24, 2015

Feature Friday - Sub Melts!

My husband and I really enjoy eating at Subway, but it seems ridiculous to pay so much for a sandwich. Often times I wind up making comparable sandwiches at home, so I thought I would share one of our favorites.

What's really great about this is it is totally custom to what we like! Actually, I came upon this as a mix of my standard sub-sandwich making and the accident of not being able to find the right bread. You see, the grocery store I usually go to has a great bakery, but sometimes their sandwich rolls are a bit tough, and I wasn't up for that. So I was in the bread aisle, looking for pre-packaged sub/steak rolls, when I came upon some hawaiian bread hamburger buns. I just knew this had to be good!

I get my meat inspiration from the Subway Melt: ham, turkey, and bacon. I like the already cooked, just heat it up bacon because I don't have to bother with cooking it before the rest of the stuff. Choose whatever meats you like!

Choose a cheese!

Choose your veggies! (I'm the only one here who'll eat them, so I just don't bother, I hate for things to go to waste.)

Choose a condiment!

Are you ready for this?
Ingredients
 Gather your ingredients. Set your oven to broil and let it get nice and toasty while you prepare.
Prepared for the oven!
Put the bottom half of the rolls/buns/bread you've chosen on a cookie sheet (I line mine with foil because they really need to be replaced, but I'm too cheap for that...). Layer on your chosen deli/lunch meats, and top with the precooked bacon.

Pop it in the oven.
Waiting for their turn.
Don't walk away! The bottoms will only be in there a few minutes! While they are warming up, place your favorite cheese on the tops of the rolls/buns/bread you've chosen. I like cheddar and husband likes swiss, and these are super-convenient for pleasing everyone! I fold my cheese up like this to fit on the buns.

In you go!
 When the meats are warmed through and the bacon is just about right, slide the bottoms out of the oven, and add the tops.

Pop them back in the oven, but only long enough to melt the cheese!
Add your toppings and...
Hot and melted goodness.
Voila!
Transfer to plates and add toppings/condiments.

Enjoy!

And don't forget to turn off the oven. ;-)

Sub Melts
All of these are just options, choose whatever flavors fit your liking!
Ingredients (as pictured):
  • Bread/buns -Hawaiian hamburger buns
  • Lunch/deli meat - turkey, ham, and pre-cooked bacon
  • Cheese - cheddar, swiss
  • Veggies - if you like
  • Condiments - mustard, mayo
Preparation:
  • Heat oven to broil.
  • Place the bottom half of chosen bread on a baking sheet. Stack lunch meat on the bread, top with bacon.
  • Place baking sheet in warm oven until meats are warmed and bacon is hot.
  • Place cheese on top halves of the bread.
  • Put the cheesy tops on the baking sheet.
  • Place baking sheet back in oven. Don't walk away! Keep a close eye, and remove once cheese has melted.
  • Top with your choice of veggies and condiments.
  • Enjoy!
I hope you enjoy these as much as we do, and I'll be sharing my "pizza sub" recipe once I make it again (so that I can have pics).

Julia

Don't forget to check out my latest adventure: byersediting.wordpress.com!


No comments:

Post a Comment