Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Laundry Solutions

Laundry. I'm not sure I know anyone who truly enjoys doing laundry (maybe I need to expand my circle?), so I thought I would share some tips/methods that work for me.

Hangers

I'm guessing most of us have seen the different ways to hang clothes passing along the internet, (if not, here are a few, the last two are just pictures, but pretty self-explanatory: Hanging Bra Organizer, Tie Hanger turned Tank Top Hanger, and Shower Rings as Tank Top Hangers), but I'll be honest, I don't want to go find the materials/dedicate the time to such ventures (and I hate opening/closing shower curtain rings). My tank tops were, however, taking up a tremendous amount of room. So my solution? This:
you know those hangers you bring home from the store? Well, they have a little place at the bottom where another hanger can be placed through, so I did that to create this tank top holder. I have made several of these, as any longer and they'd be brushing the stuff I have hiding at the bottom of my closet, and use them for tank tops/spaghetti straps and bras, too. 

Stains

We don't have a tremendous amount of "stains" like lipstick, grass, or wine, but what we do[did] have is[was] deodorant build-up on our clothing. I don't know if it is the brand(s) of deodorant being used, the usage habits, something about our washing machine where it wouldn't take it out, or what, but the build-up would get to the point of making visible stains on the outside of the under-arms, especially on my husbands clothing. I needed to find a solution which did not require replacing my husband's wardrobe every few months. So I got on Jillee's blog to see if she had anything, and low and behold! Goodbye to Yellow Armpit Stains! While our stains/build-up was not yellow, it was certainly worth a try. I was a little nervous since the original post was about white shirts, but her update on color-safety and the idea that the shirt was unwearable anyways, so if it was discolored it wouldn't be any loss, gave me the confidence to try it. AND IT WORKED! So I've taken up the habit of turning all the shirts inside out and soaking them in the tub, then applying the dawn/baking soda/peroxide mixture with a toothbrush to help scrub the deodorant out, then letting them sit while another load runs through the wash, and finally placing them in a regular load in the washer. While this may sound like a lot of work, it really isn't, and it's definitely a lot less work than having to get new shirts all the time!

Washing

It's been in my head to try homemade laundry detergent, but I haven't done so yet.

I see a lot of people who say that doing one load of laundry every day keeps the stress out of doing laundry. I agree that is one way to do it, but it has naturally occurred that Sunday has become my unofficial laundry day. You see, on Sundays, we typically stay at home, relaxing, and then in the evening we prepare for the upcoming week. In doing the laundry on this day I don't have to worry about whether or not we wear the same thing twice in the same week, or that my husband won't have the clothes he prefers to wear to work. It also keeps me from being completely unproductive on a Sunday. Another thing, I do not like folding clothes and putting them away. While I hang everything that needs to straight out of the dryer, things like socks and pajamas can be thrown into one basket throughout the day, and at the end I have to only fold and put that away one time, instead of several throughout the week. This is the way it has just happened, and it works, so I'll keep doing it until somethings calls for a change. This is not to say I refuse to do laundry during the week, or that I don't, but the majority of it happens on this one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment