Saturday, January 11, 2014

Stash Acquired

I have been very fortunate in acquiring a HUGE stash of fabric and sewing notions.

My grandmother (lovingly called Memaw) used to sew SO much, but unfortunately over the last few years she has lost her ability to see, and can no longer sew (or drive, or read, or many of the other things she used to enjoy so much). She told me she had a lot of materials and patterns, but I had no idea just HOW much that would turn out to be (and it's likely there are still boxes of it mixed in with her other belongings). So, here's a picture of my loot as I brought it in from the house and stacked it in the hallway:
there are yards upon yards of materials, not to mention boxes of patterns and thread, spools of elastic, and who knows what else is hiding in that treasure trove. The fabrics range from silky soft apparel to thick canvas-y things and all sorts of stuff between. Being such a novice at sewing I'm not sure what some of it is, or if some of it is even worn in today's fashion, but that will be part of the fun of finding out just what I have and what I can do with it. I'm very grateful and lucky to have come in possession of these things, and I'm thinking I'll have to make at least one garment for Memaw as thanks :)

Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment