Friday, February 13, 2015

Feature Friday - Damsel Distressed by Kelsey Macke

This week's Feature is the YA novel Damsel Distressed by Kelsey Macke, and I was fortunate enough to be able to watch her participate in a forum at YAK fest this year.

Let me just say that while yes, I am an emotional reader, the level of sobbing I did while reading this book was unreal, and kept my son asking me if I was ok. I am, by the way.

First thing, let's look at the beautiful cover. Admire.


Now go to Amazon, and open up the sample. Look at the amazing inside title page.

But wait! Don't close that sample, scroll down to the powerful dedication. (I'm going to play it safe here and not reproduce anything from the book.)

We then find out that there is a soundtrack, with songs written specifically for the book and performed by the Mackes' band, Wedding Day Rain, available on the book's website. How very awesome is that?!

Here is the blurb from Amazon:

Hot girls get the fairy tales. No one cares about the stepsisters' story. Those girls don't get a sweet little ending; they get a lifetime of longing.

Imogen Keegen has never had a happily ever after-in fact, she doesn't think they are possible. Ever since her mother's death seven years ago, Imogen has pulled herself in and out of therapy. When Imogen's new stepsister, Ella Cinder, moves in down the hall, Imogen begins losing grip on the pieces she's been trying to hold together. The only things that gave her solace--the theatre, cheese fries, and her best friend, Grant--aren't enough to save her from her pain this time. While Imogen is enjoying her moment in the spotlight after the high school musical, the journal pages containing her darkest thoughts get put on display. Now, Imogen must resign herself to be crushed under the ever-increasing weight of her pain, or finally accept the starring role in her own life story. And maybe even find herself a happily ever after.

If you've looked at what I suggested, certainly you didn't miss the comedy/tragedy masks of drama, did you? Those aren't just random. The first thing encountered is Imogen exercising her love for dramatic flair, in the form of ranting about princesses and stepsisters to Therapist George. Imogen's voice is immediately distinct. Influenced by her love for musicals, it is silly, snarky, and at times brutally honest. While Imogen is overweight, and that does play a part in the story, it is not the main concern, as Imogen is clinically depressed and fighting to find some kind of light. Just when she thought things were getting better, Carmella, "Ella," her step-sister, moves in.

So, thoughts:

Pros:

  • Imogen's unique voice/view of the world. You can definitely see the influence of the theater.
  • Macke uses just enough dialect (fish-kick, for example) for the book.
  • All of the character's were their own unique identity and had their own presence in the book.
  • Just enough comic relief.
  • Important issues treated with respect and care.
  • Super emotionally moving!
  • The perfect capturing of depression is what really turned the knob on my waterworks. For me it is Imogen's idea of the pendulum swing that rings so true. The exhausting swinging back and forth, thinking you have come out just to plunge back in. Maybe it's not a new idea, but it's the first time that I have been exposed to it, and it is so perfect that it hurts to realize how accurate the swing of the pendulum of emotions is.
  • Part of my connection to Imogen is that I lost my mom at a similar age, so, bonus waterworks.
  • In my experience as an English major, one of the things I found repeated was the idea that "serious" literature was re-readable for the underlying themes, images, ideas, etc., that once the story is read there is still something to merit by reading it again. In my Young Adult Literature class, some of these things that we looked at and were often found in our texts were: non-traditional/broken homes, peer family, and identity (personal, social, cultural, etc.), among other things. Damsel Distressed addresses all of these things with such realistic voice and emotion that it grabs onto your heartstrings and doesn't let go.
Faux-Cons:
  • I want to know the story of all the other characters.
  • Not a sunshine-happy read. (It is hopeful, though.)
Cons:
  • I honestly have no cons about this book.
Thanks for reading, I hope you check this amazing book out!

Julia

(still working on the way I review)

No comments:

Post a Comment